Advocacy group: "GOP immigration strategy went down in flames"
by Lisa Degliantoni
Posted on December 2, 2008
The America's Voice report looks at each race lost by a Republican incumbent, focusing on immigration reform. (The full report is available as a PDF link under Related Documents.)
The report "Republicans Fenced in by Immigration" is making the rounds in major media outlets, most recently landing on the opinion page of the Wall Street Journal.
This report comes at time when the GOP is facing major setbacks especially with Hispanic voters. The GOP's share of the Hispanic vote fell from 40% in 2004 to 31% in 2008. If the GOP continues to attempt to turn immigration into a wedge issue, the percentage of Hispanics voting Republican will only continue to diminish.
America's Voice is an advocacy group dedicated to "Harnessing the power of American voices and American values to win common sense immigration reform."
Most Viewed Stories
- Sex clubs and swingers in El Paso
- Biz Briefs 6.8-12.09: Small business summit; Department of Labor forum
- Bad Moon Rising: The Crisis in Ciudad Juarez
- ABC-7 reporter and photographer handcuffed, detained while covering I-10 wreck
- California judge crusades for marijuana legalization
- Houston Elementary School on the chopping block
- Playboy Magazine Features UTEP Coeds
- Resources for the El Paso gay community
- Review: IDEA Gallery, "Beyond the 2nd Dimension" Opening
- Pop Stars like JackO, Andy Warhol and Karen O make me proud to be an American