Biz Briefs 6.29.09: Non Profit Connection
Compiled by NPT Staff
Posted on June 29, 2009
Old Navy Outlet Food Drive
Who: Old Navy Outlet
When: July 7th, 8th, & 9th
Where: Outlet Mall, 7051 S. Desert Blvd.
What: Will be having a food drive July 7th, 8th, & 9th to benefit West Texas Food Bank
Bring a can good and receive a 10% discount on entire purchase.
No Limit on purchase
Gov. Perry Appoints Wilson and Wright to Automobile Burglary and Theft Prevention Authority
May 27, 2009
Office of the Governor Rick Perry
AUSTIN – Gov. Rick Perry has appointed Mark Wilson of Brandon and Margaret “Jerry” Wright of El Paso to the Automobile Burglary and Theft Prevention Authority for terms to expire Feb. 1, 2015. The authority assesses the scope of motor vehicle theft in Texas and supports a statewide law enforcement network through grants, auto theft reduction initiatives, education and public awareness.
El Paso Diablos Food Drive to Benefit West Texas Food Bank
Who: El Paso Diablos to support West Texas Food Bank
When: July 2nd, 3rd, and 4th
Where: Cohen Stadium
What: To help feed the hungry in El Paso County
Bring your can goods on July 2nd, 3rd and 4th, and get a card from West Texas Food Bank and you will get a free admission ticket for Sunday, July 5th.
Foster Will Receive 2009 Distinguished Service Award
~Foster Demonstrates Best in Community and Business Practices in El Paso~
EL Paso – July 1, 2009 – The Rotary Club of El Paso is proud to announce Paul L. Foster, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Western Refining, Inc., as the recipient of the 2009 Distinguished Service Award. The presentation of the award will be held Thursday, July 16, 2009 from 12:00p.m. to 1:15p.m. at the Double Tree Hotel located at 600 N. El Paso St.
Foster has grown to be a prime example of leadership, generosity, and community service. His contributions to the El Paso region are of exceptional value such as his large gifts to UTEP and the Texas Tech Medical School named after him, The Paul L. Foster School of Medicine, as well as his dedication to the downtown renovations, including the Mills Building. While committing to serve this city to be the best it can, he continues to head a Fortune 500 oil refining and marketing company headquartered in El Paso.
Robert Navarro, President, Robert Navarro & Associates Engineering, Inc., and chair of the Distinguished Service Award committee, commented, “El Paso is a fortunate community because we have so many community-minded people. Each year we carefully consider the nominees for the Distinguished Service Award recipient and the selection is never easy. This year it is our pleasure to recognize Paul Foster. Mr. Foster exemplifies the qualities and responsibilities needed to make positive changes in the El Paso area. We, like the rest of El Paso, are extremely grateful for his work within the community.”
Foster is a member of the Downtown Rotary Club, the Texas Economic Development Council, the Governor’s Business Council, the Greater El Paso Chamber of Commerce, the Business Advisory Council at UTEP, Board of the Sun Bowl Association, as well as many more organizations.
Previous Distinguished Service Award recipients include: _____________________________________________________________________________
2004- Jack Cardwell
2005- Don Haskins
2006- Adair Margo
2007- Jimmy Rogers
2008- Mary Ann Dodson
For a complete list, please visit www.clubrunner.ca/elpaso/.
NEW DIRECTORS ELECTED TO NMHC BOARD
WASHINGTON, DC -- The National Multi Housing Council (NMHC) Chairman Ric Campo announced that the following members were elected to serve on NMHC's Board of Directors during its meeting held on June 10-11 at the Hyatt Regency Crystal City at Reagan National Airport, Arlington, VA.
The following individuals were elected to NMHC's Executive Committee:
• Gary T. Kachadurian (Chairman) from Apartment Realty Advisors, Oak Brook, IL and Marc E. de Baptiste (Principal) from Apartment Realty Advisors, Boca Raton, FL
• Thomas Shuler (Chief Operating Officer) from Berkshire Property Advisors, Roswell, GA
• Julie A. Smith (President) from Bozzuto Management Company, Greenbelt, MD
• Deirdre A. Kuring (Senior Vice President Property Operations) from BRE Properties, Inc., Kirkland, WA
• John Larson (Managing Director) from Centerline Capital Group, New York, NY
• Nathan S. Collier (Principal and Chairman) and J. Andrew Hogshead (President) from The Collier CompaniesfThe Paradigm Group, Gainesville, FL
• Michael D. Berman (President) and Donald P. King, III (Senior Vice President) from CWCapital, Needham, MA
• Christopher Adams (Chief Operating Officer) from Holland Partner Group, Vancouver, WA
• Thomas L. Wilkes (President, Post Apartment Management) from Post Properties, Inc., Atlanta, GA
• Charles R. Brind~lI, Jr. (President and CEO) from Trammell Crow Residential, Dallas, TX
In addition, the following were elected to NMHC's Board of Directors:
• Thuy Woodall (Senior Events Manager) from AT&T Connected Communities, Atlanta, GA
• Bj Rosow (President, Chief Operating Officer) and Clint Borchgardt (Director of Operations)
from AZUMA Leasing, Austin, TX
• Mike Gilbert (Senior Vice President of Sales) from Bader Company, Indianapolis, IN
• Mark Alfieri (COO-Multifamily) and Robert S. Aisner (President) from Behringer Harvard, Addison, TX
• Stephen J. Zaleski (Managing Director - Multi-Housing Group) from C8 Richard Ellis Investors, LLC, Boston, MA
• Steven Fayne (Man.aging Director) from Citi Community Capital, San Francisco, CA
• Mark Higgins (Executive Vice President) from Cornerstone Real Estate Advisers LLC, Santa Monica, CA
• Gregory R. Pinkalla (President & COO) from Fairfield Residential LLC, San Diego,
• David G. Shillington (Director, Agency Lending) from Key8ank Real Estate Capital, Dallas, TX
• Christine Akins (Senior Vice President) from LaSalle Investment Management, Inc., Chicago,IL
• Bruce V. Michelson, Jr. (Vice President) from The Michelson Organization, st. Louis MO
• David Baird (National Director Multifamily) from Sperry Van Ness, Las Vegas, NV
• Russell A. Vandenburg (President and Chief Executive Officer) from TVO North America, EI Paso, TX
• Howard W. Smith (Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer) and Susan O. Weber (Vice President of Marketing) from Walker & Dunlop, Bethesda, MD
• Jennifer Shepard (Marketing Specialist) from Yardi Systems, Inc., SantaBarbara, CA
El Paso Foreign Trade Zone No. 68 Initiates New Service Project
El Paso, Texas – June 30, 2009- El Paso’s Foreign Trade Zone announces its new Small Manufacturing Business Accelerator (SMBA) Project. This program is designed to help local manufacturing companies generate revenue and expand their business opportunities. It is an excellent trading channel for small to medium global companies seeking resources to become or remain globally competitive. Companies interested in learning more about this business opportunity, contact Joe Quinonez Jr., Foreign Trade Zone Manager, at 771-6016.
Free Workshop: Financial Education and Homeownership
Discover how to prepare for homeownership, manage your finances, and repair your credit. Join us for this free workshop presented by GECU and Affordable Housing CUSO on Monday, July 13 through Thursday, July 16, 2009 from 6:00p.m. to 8:00p.m. at the GECU Vista Del Sol Lobby at 10435 Vista Del Sol Dr.
Seating is limited. Make your reservation today by calling (915) 838-9608.
Building a Budget 101 Free Seminar
Get ready to develop your budget. You’ll learn the “how to” of financial management to set realistic goals, identify spending leaks, and manage monthly income and expenses. Join us for this free seminar in Spanish on Wednesday, July 15, 2009 from 6:00p.m. to 7:30p.m. at the GECU Viscount Lobby at 7227 Viscount Blvd.
Make your reservations today by calling (915) 774-6092 or sign up online at www.gecu-ep.org and click on “Upcoming Events and Seminars.”
Nonprofits gather monthly for networking, beverages and pastries.
7:30 AM – 8:30 AM, Friday, July 10, 2009 at Mercado Mayapan (2101 Myrtle Ave.)
EL PASO, TEXAS – Please join us on Friday, July 10, 2009 from 7:30 AM – 8:30 AM as La Mujer Obrera host the monthly Nonprofit Connection at the new Mercado Mayapan (2101 Myrtle Ave.)! RSVP Recommended.
The Nonprofit Connection is a monthly morning gathering of nonprofit organizations. A different nonprofit organization hosts the meeting every month with coffee and pastries. This is intended to foster conversation, increase collaboration and networking amongst nonprofit organizations.
Past hosts include: Community Scholars, Veterans Business Association, YWCA, Center Against Family Violence, Child Crisis Center of El Paso, Frontera Women’s Foundation and Paso del Norte Children’s Development Center. Please see schedule below.
La Mujer Obrera
July 10, 2009
2101 Myrtle Ave.
Armed Services YMCA
August 7, 2009
7060 Comington St.
Centro San Vicente
September 4, 2009
8061 Alameda Ave.
October 2, 2009
Fiesta de las Flores Hispanic Cultural Center, Inc.
November 6, 2009
3700 Durazno St.
El Paso Bridges Academy
December 4, 2009
901 Arizona Ave
Most Viewed Stories
- Police Blotter 2.12.09: Bank robber nabbed; FBI says powder sent to offices not harmful; first homicide arrest; top collision intersections; 17-year-old shot self
- Sex clubs and swingers in El Paso
- Police Blotter 2.24-27.09: Police officer charged with sexual assault; ex-detention officer charged with assaulting inmate; felons captured; motorcycle fatality
- ABC-7 reporter and photographer handcuffed, detained while covering I-10 wreck
- Adrian Pena, accused of bribing a county commissioner, indicted again on $19 million EPISD contract
- Planned Parenthood of El Paso closure status: More than a half million in debt and a state investigation
- Former NCED president and CEO Bob Jones negotiating guilty plea; third defendant wants reasons for wiretap
- Police Blotter 4.6-9.09: 9,000 pounds of pot; murder suspect arrested; motorcyclist killed by sign; Village People bandit
- Slain U.S. marshal found in Juarez had warrant for his arrest
- Police Blotter 2.9-13.09