By NPT Staff
Posted on February 22, 2004
Monday, February 23, 2004
Town Hall metting with Texas Senator Eliot Shapleigh: "21st Century Texas Education Excellence Fund"
This is the third of a series of five town hall meetings on the school finance proposal.
Under Shapleigh's plan, the Fund will be created with a 5 percent flat tax, 2/3rds of which will go to cut property taxes, 1/3 of which will go to create quality schools. Any increase to this fund must be put to the Texas voters. Under this plan, nine in 10 El Pasoans will see a reduction in school taxes and an increase in fund for teacher pay.
"In poll after poll, Texans tell us that they want quality public schools. If we will put the money in the classrooms, Texans will invest. Let us put this 21st Century Texas Education Excellence Fund to a vote, cut property taxes and provide a quality education to every Texas child. What is more important than our children's education?" Shapleigh said.
Monday's Town Hall meeting will be from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at Chapin High School in the theater.
For more information, contact Loretta Akers, 544-1990.
* * *
Tuesday, February 24, 2004
Towne Centre Mall Public Comment Meeting
The City Council will have a public meeting Tuesday to hear a presentation and get public comments about a proposed $25 million city financial package for a proposed upscale retail center on the former Farah factory site in East El Paso.
The council will meet as a legislative review committee Tuesday in City Hall to discuss the proposal. It will meet after the council's regular weekly meeting, which will begin at 9 a.m.. DeBartolo Property Group of Tampa, Fla., and Fortis Advisors of Scottsdale, Ariz., are on the meeting agenda to present information on their proposed project, Towne Centre at Cielo Vista.
* * *
Most Viewed Stories
- Police Blotter 2.12.09: Bank robber nabbed; FBI says powder sent to offices not harmful; first homicide arrest; top collision intersections; 17-year-old shot self
- Police Blotter 2.24-27.09: Police officer charged with sexual assault; ex-detention officer charged with assaulting inmate; felons captured; motorcycle fatality
- Sex clubs and swingers in El Paso
- Planned Parenthood of El Paso closure status: More than a half million in debt and a state investigation
- Police Blotter 4.6-9.09: 9,000 pounds of pot; murder suspect arrested; motorcyclist killed by sign; Village People bandit
- Slain U.S. marshal found in Juarez had warrant for his arrest
- Police Blotter 2.9-13.09
- Tourism down in Juarez and in Mexico, adding to economic downturn
- I feel like a dirty whore when I Facebook
- Readers Respond: Asarco