Clinton vs. Obama: How El Paso's Leaders Will Vote
by Rene Leon
Posted on February 8, 2008
Mayor John Cook – Hillary Clinton
“If the election were today, I’d vote for Clinton because of her leadership and experience. She has a lot of political ware and she’s very involved in the political process.”
Rep. Susie Byrd – Barack Obama
“I think we need a transcendent figure, like President Kennedy, to unite people. He (Obama) is that candidate.
Rep. Melina Castro - Undecided at this time.
Rep. Rachel Quintana – A Democratic candidate; leaning toward Hillary Clinton.
“I’m leaning toward Hillary because [her platform] of universal healthcare.”
Rep. Eddie Holguin – Hillary Clinton
“I’m a Democrat and I have loyalty to the Clintons. I really like her position on healthcare. Bill was a great president and I think she can be a great president.”
Rep. Steve Ortega – Barack Obama
“Obama speaks intelligently on the issues. He’s very principled in his approach to how the government should be run. He’s not reactionary when it comes to immigration.”
Rep. Beto O’Rourke – Barack Obama
“He’s the most exciting presidential candidate I’ve ever seen. He’s a once-in-a-lifetime candidate.”
District Attorney Jaime Esparza – Hillary Clinton
“I like Obama’s energy, it’s really good for politics, but I’m supporting Hillary. I think she’s great and it would be exceptional to have woman in the White House.”
Comm. Luis Sarinana – Undecided; leaning toward Hillary Clinton.
“I like Hillary because of her experience, and I like Obama because of his universal insurance policy. Hillary’s support here (El Paso) is strong, and she has political contacts here.”
Comm. Veronica Escobar – Barack Obama
“Obama represents a tremendous amount of hope. He would do a great job at rebuilding America after Bush.”
Comm. Miguel Teran – Hillary Clinton
“She’s the most electable in a battle over the Republican candidate. They’re both (Clinton and Obama) pretty good, but I think electability is important.”
Comm. Dan Haggerty – A Republican candidate; undecided.
“It’s still a little far away. I haven’t made my mind up.”
State & U.S. Delegation
State Sen. Eliot Shapleigh – Hillary Clinton
Supports Clinton because of her position on universal healthcare and her political experience.
State Rep. Norma Chavez – Barack Obama
U.S. Rep. Silvestre Reyes – Hillary Clinton
Most Viewed Stories
- ABC-7 reporter and photographer handcuffed, detained while covering I-10 wreck
- Sex clubs and swingers in El Paso
- FORUM Arts and Culture: Contemporary Art (and Money) Matter
- Police Blotter 4.20-23.09; 71 year-old arrested for smuggling drugs; 15 year-old arrested for multiple burglaries
- Theater Near Completion
- Police Blotter 2.12.09: Bank robber nabbed; FBI says powder sent to offices not harmful; first homicide arrest; top collision intersections; 17-year-old shot self
- Drug-related kidnappings in El Paso hard to pin down but ICE stands by 6
- On the death of my mother, journalist Linda Bejarano
- In the News: Juarez and the Sun Bowl
- Police Blotter 11.23.09: Manhunt Monday